Sunday, January 15, 2006

Most adventurous thing I have ever done…discounting others carried out in drunken stupor

Yesterday morning, my best friend S and I were sitting inside the Aurobindo Market Barista, having some coffee and rolls. While we were the only ones inside, the glass-separated patio outside was quite full of people enjoying the sunshine with their coffee. A bunch of twenty-something serious-looking youngsters, all smoking cigarettes, and listening intently to a much-older fellow (their professor?) also smoking a cigarette. Two nattily dressed men (I love nattily dressed men!) playing a game of chess, who were very soon joined by two others of same fashion quotient. A blonde working feverishly on some papers. And up in one corner, sketching away with a charcoal pencil, Delectable Dude.
Qualification: he wore red sneakers with panache. And was tall, lean, with mop-like hair and serious artist look.
S decided it was time to pep up my non-existent love life. She dared me to go up to him and ask the ‘whether he wasn’t A from X place coz I have seen you before’ question. Many threats from S and excuses from me later, I finally did.
‘Excuse me. *Smile* Are you Aditya from Springdales School?’ (He looked like an Aditya)
‘Umm, no. I am ljsdisld from asdflsdjf’. *cute smile* (Great. Delectable Dude had an indecipherable accent)
Oh. I thought you looked like an old friend.
Uh.
Uh. Anyways, bye.
S was laughing when I came back. ‘Gawd! You should have commented on his sketch atleast’. And then, in a super adventurous mood, she decided that ‘we’ must make him aware of my presence. So, when he left his table to visit the loo, she wrote down my name and telephone number, complete with a smiley, on a napkin, and got up to drop it at his table. But she was nervous (yay) and didn’t. Instead, she handed the napkin to a Barista worker and instructed him to put it on DD’s table, then jumped with joy of mission-accomplished and turned to me. Only, she found DD walking past her, having seen the entire exchange.
As he went towards his table, S and I burst out in hysterical laughter. From the corner of our eyes, we saw Delectable Dude open the napkin, take a look and laugh a sweet laugh at us- only, he would have seen two girls guffawing their not-so-dignified heads off. Great.
Atleast I now understand the part in the ‘Friend’s’ title track which says- Your love life’s DOA.

He hasn't called. In the meanwhile, S and I have decided to visit above-mentioned café more often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to note tht significant and concrete steps are being taken towards having a much desired 'love life'.you girls have my support.some delectable dude or the other is bound to fall for tht crazy charm:)meanwhile have fun

Girija D. said...

Thanks anonymous! :)

Anonymous said...

Lol...sounds like a cute "girly" thing to do! I am guessing "S" is Swati.. can't imagine her doing something like this..

Girija D. said...

hmm...i just read the second comment by you, anon. So you know S, eh??
(who can anon be??)